Supporting, educating and caring together
For babies and young children this is a unique and important time in their development and we consider it to be a privilege to share in this part of their lives.
- Homerton Early Years Centre provides a welcoming environment with exciting and enriching experiences where every individual is valued and nurtured.
- We are a thriving Centre in the heart of the community that pays the highest regard to the needs of young children and their families. We are a centre for learning, offering support and information.
- We work in partnership with families and their babies and children, early years settings and their practitioners, childminders and nannies, agencies supporting families, further education, schools and advisers.
Our Centre is a place where:
- families and individuals are supported to develop confidence, independence and self esteem
- relationships are built in an environment of understanding and respect
- we listen to everyone and explore ways to improve the lives of families in our community
- we prioritise those in greatest need
- we work in partnership with families to promote their children’s learning and development
- quality experiences are offered which involve exploration, investigation and creativity
- the environment is safe and caring so that children, families and staff can feel secure
- we develop a shared understanding of spiritual, social and cultural diversity
- we intervene to achieve better outcomes for all children and work to abolish prejudice.
Homerton was originally a Nursery School built in 1942 in the grounds of Homerton College with the intention of providing care for evacuee children and for training opportunities for Homerton students. It moved to its present site in 1968 and was extended to include a large multi-use community room in 1999. The Centre is located in a quiet residential area in the City of Cambridge just off Hills Road.
In recognition of our achievements as providers of quality early years education, the school was awarded Centre of Excellence status in 2003, and has had an extensive building programme which includes a training room and community/ health room and improvements to current accommodation. The outside area has been landscaped and includes improved facilities for children’s outdoor play.
In April 2012 we opened The Nest – our provision for 2 year olds, this now enables children to be with us from 2 – 4 years old with the large majority accessing their 15 free hour educational entitlement.
In addition to providing quality Early Years education, we offer training in ICT and many aspects of the Early Years curriculum, support for childminders, extended sessions for children attending the Nursery School, parent support, and an inclusive ethos for children with additional needs.
Our Children’s Centre offers a variety of drop-ins for parents and children aged 0 – 4, advice and information for parents, and outreach work beyond Homerton Children’s Centre.
The school and The Nest are subject to regular OFSTED inspections, our latest reports are available on the Documents page of this website (under the About Us tab).
- We were awarded a School Achievement Award in 2002.
- We were designated a Centre of Excellence in 2003.
- We became a Children’s Centre in 2007.
- We are a validated National Health Promoting School, and strongly promote the principles of fresh air, exercise, and healthy eating.
- The National Association of Advisors for Computers in Education awarded us their NAACE mark in 2004. We were one of the first Nursery Schools in the country to receive this award.
- We were Judged to be outstanding in all categories for the Early Years ICT Mark in 2007.
- Our Children’s Centre joined with Fawcett Children’s Centre in 2014
- We started our Community Childcare Hub in 2013.
- We belong with two Teaching Alliances; The Kite and CEYTS. We partnered with these Alliances from their initial designation in 2014.